Brewing a steaming hot cuppa coffee is one of the most rewarding experiences. Coffee lovers enjoy the process almost as much as they enjoy drinking coffee!
However, it is quite shocking that while everyone invests in the best grinders and brewing methods, they forget about one small detail – weighing the coffee beans. A plastic scoop may work but it takes away all the fun of carefully adjusting the coffee to water ratio to come up with all new blends.
This is why we advise all coffee lovers to buy the best espresso scale. It is affordable, handy, and a very useful item in the kitchen.
Why should you buy the best espresso scale?
Everyone knows that the coffee’s flavor depends on how much coffee and water you use. The most common ratio is 1:15 (coffee to water) but it changes drastically when you get into the specifics.
Now, no matter what ratio you are going for, you should be able to measure the water and the coffee beans/grounds. A scoop will never give you the accurate value and you will never know what the actual ratio tastes like.
Another point we thought we should mention here is that not all coffee beans weigh the same. So a scoop of one roast may be heavier or lighter than the exact same scoop of another roast! They are all different.
Thus, you need an espresso scale.
Buying the right scale
Here are a few things you should weigh the shortlisted scales against:
- It should be digital
- It should be accurate to at least 2 decimal places
- The scale should be small and even
- It needs to have a tare button
- Other features include battery power and water-resistance
Best espresso scale
We have come to the best section of the article – our list of the best in 2020!
1. GDEALER Digital Pocket Kitchen Scale
The GDEALER Kitchen Scale is among the most popular options out there due to its functionality and its price. It is easily affordable and does complete justice to every penny. Below are reasons why you should buy it:
- It can weigh up to 500 grams.
- It can weigh in multiple units including gm, ozt, dwt, ct, and o.
- The scale has a plastic frame and a stainless steel plate. Together, they promise durability.
- It is also quite lightweight.
- You can also use it at night thanks to its LCD display and its blue light.
- It has a precision tare button.
- You can use it for more than just coffee! It is very reliable.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty.
- Comes with batteries (2 x AAA)
- Consistent and accurate
- May not be accurate below 3 gms
2. Brewista Smart Scale
If you need a scale specifically for espresso and other coffee bends, the Brewista scale will be your best friend. It has been made to help you blend the perfect coffee! Below are a few of its features:
- I can weigh up to 2000 gms.
- The scale has an LCD display.
- It has a rechargeable battery.
- Its silicon protective pad keeps the scale safe even when you get sloppy. Cleaning spills is very easy!
- The manufacturers promise accuracy of 0.1 gm.
- It has 6 modes that you can choose from.
- The scale also has an automatic timer and an automatic tare feature.
- It has an automated mode for espresso along with manual modes for those who want full control
- USB rechargeable battery
- Automatic timer
- The buttons could be more user-friendly
3. Coffee Gator – Scale with Timer
This is a brilliant scale for those who want a timer. It is a multi-functional kitchen scale that you will use every day without fail! Let’s find out why:
- You can use it to measure coffee for French press, espresso, etc. You can also use it for fruits, food, and liquids.
- The scale is steady thanks to its non-slip rubber mat and feet protector.
- Its bright and large LED display makes it easier to read the measurements.
- It is accurate from 0.003 ounces to 6.6 pounds (3 Kg).
- It has a loading tray that makes addition/removal easy.
- Accurate readings
- The tray is handy
- Stout and easy to use
- Placement tends to affect the reading – make sure you place the weight in the center
4. Acaia Black Pearl – Lab Grade Scale
This one’s for the serious coffee lovers! The Acaia Black Pearl is a coffee lover’s dream because it has everything you could ask for in a scale – and more. Keep reading for details:
- It is very fast and can give you the readings within 20 ms.
- Since it is a laboratory grade scale, you can expect the highest levels of accuracy. Its internal resolution is up to 1 million counts. So you can trust it to give you values up to 1/10th of a gram.
- It has creeping compensation technology that makes it very stable and reliable.
- It also has auto-zero tracking capability.
- Its built-in stop watch can help you track the process without any fuss.
- The scale has a USB rechargeable battery that can last 20-30 hours.
- It can sync with your mobile phone to give you access to a full suite of apps.
- One of the most reliable espresso scales out there
- Has a firmware that comes with “beverage mode”
- Extremely accurate
- Water resistant
5. Hario V60 – Scale and Timer
Let’s round the list off with another Amazon’s Choice product! This excellent scale and timer is the one to go for if you are looking for accuracy and affordability. Read on for specifics.
- The scale has a drip timer that helps you pour the perfect cup of coffee.
- It powers off within 5 minutes of no usage. This feature does not work if the timer is on.
- You can weigh your coffee in increments of 0.1 gm. It has the capacity to measure up to 2000 gm (2 Kg).
- It is battery operated and needs 2 AAA batteries (included).
- It is water-proof.
- Scale and timer are very easy to use
- No annoying sounds
- Auto shut-off
- Weight changes can cause delays
- The buttons are capacitive
Precision is the key to amazing coffee – we all know that! So, why not spend a few bucks on the right scale so that you brew what you need every single time. These espresso scales take away the mystery and guesswork, enabling you to make what you desire and experiment how much ever you wish to.
Hardcore coffee enthusiasts should definitely go with Acaia because of its features but if you can’t afford it or if you are just dipping your toes in the world of awesome coffee, any of the other scales will do. They are all great!
Those who have additional questions or any concerns whatsoever can comment or get in touch with us directly. We are eagerly waiting for your feedback!